ATTRACTIONS IN PINE BLUFF, AR

Murals on Main Gallery

A refreshing short downtown walking or driving tour of the Murals of Downtown Pine Bluff offers an excellent opportunity for visitors to see this history of the area covering the past 200 years. The murals on the exterior walls of several of Pine Bluff’s downtown buildings are unique, exquisite, and educational.

mural_Main-Street-1888_Pine Bluff.jpg

 

Main Street 1888

(3rd & Main)

Main Street as it appeared in 1888 is depicted in the mural painted by Robert Dafford. The mural is a compilation of many historic photographs masterfully interpreted by Dafford.

mural_the-legend-behind-the-Saracen.jpg

 

Saracen

(Barraque & Main)

This small mural, also painted by Robert Dafford, is dedicated to the memory of Quapaw Chief Saracen, Rescuer of the Stolden Children and legendary hero of Jefferson County.

mural_the-old-firehouse.jpg

 

The Old Fire Station

(Between 7th & 8th Avenues on Main)

Historic photographs of the City Hall and Fire Station, circa 1892, were used by Dafford to paint this mural.

mural_UAPB.jpg

 

UAPB Mural

(2nd & Main)

Robert Dafford painted his fourth mural depicting the growth of Branch Normal College, which became Arkansas AM&N and is now the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. The mural traces the school's history from 1875 until 1972.

mural_two-for-the-movies.jpg

 

The Movie Mural

(Between 2nd & 3rd Avenues on Main)

Michael Wojczuk of Colorado is the painter of this mural paying tribute to two Pine Bluffians who contributed much to the movie industry: Freeman Harrison Owens, who developed sound-on-film technology still being used today, and Max Aaronson who is known to early movie fans as "Broncho Billy" Anderson, the first great cowboy star.

mural_timber-in-the-old-days.jpg

 

The Timber Mural

(5th & Georgia Streets)

Timber was a big industry in Jefferson County at the turn of the century, David and Susan Kelly Frye of Texas used old photographs from the industry to fashion a composite image depicting logging, train steam engines and saw mills.

mural_old-man-river-friend-&-foe.jpg

 

River Mural

(5th & Pine Street)

Painted by Alan Wylie of British Columbia from three turn-of-the-century photographs, this mural depicts life on the Arkansas River during another time.

mural_Arkansas-flag-and-Miss-Willie.jpg

 

The Arkansas Flag

(Chestnut & U.S. 65B)

Returning to Pine Bluff, the Fryes created the mural honoring Willie Hocker, designer of the State Flag of Arkansas.

mural_the-early-automobiles-of-pine-bluf

 

The Auto Club Mural

(3rd & Main)

All automobile owners in Jefferson County met at the end of Main Street in 1905 to pose for a photograph. Dan Sawatsky of Chemainus, British Columbia, recreated this "Main Event" in the mural.

mural_Delta Heritage.jpg

 

The Delta Heritage

(2nd & Main)

Depicting scenes in the life of Jefferson County residents between the 1920s and 1940s, Don Gensler of Little Rock painted this mural. John Rust, the inventor of the first mechanical cotton picker, is the main attraction of this mural, along with scenes of the Delta cotton fields.

mural_Medical-Mural_Hospitals-of-Pine-Bl

 

The Medical Mural

(2nd & Main)

Painted by the Dafford Mural Company of Lafayette, Louisiana, this mural celebrates the history of the past and present medical facilities in Pine Bluff. The mural panel on the left is the Davis hospital, built in 1910 and is located at 11th & Cherry Street, and the right panel is Jefferson Regional Medical Center which opened in early 1960s and continues to serve the needs of patients in South Arkansas.

Grider Field Mural (1280x370).jpg

 

The Grider Field Mural

(mural is no longer accessible)

Grider Field, Pine Bluff's municipal airport, began its existence during World War II as a primary training field for Air Corps cadets. It left a lasting influence on the community. The Grider Field Mural depicts the history and effect the school's operation had on the aerial battles of World War II. It is principally shown in three presentations.

mural_old-man-river-friend-&-foe.jpg

 

Steam Engine 819 Cotton Belt Railroad

(mural is no longer accessible)

Pine Bluff's first rail service began in 1873 with the Pine Bluff, Little Rock and New Orleans Railroad. Later, during the Great Depression, the Cotton Belt Railroad wanted to add to its 800 series of locomotives, and ten of the twenty were constructed in Pine Bluff. Engine 819 can now be seen at the Arkansas Railroad Museum.

QUESTIONS?

Give us a call!

Questions about things to do? Want a little guidance as you plan your itinerary?

Just give us a call at 870.534.2121 or drop us a line via email. We’re happy to assist!