IMG_5474.JPG

HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE

History Lives Here

With every period of architecture represented, Pine Bluff is one of the most architecturally significant cities in Arkansas. The city’s commercial buildings, churches, residences, and other spaces are more than just fascinating containers for untold stories of Pine Bluff and the Delta. They are characters every bit as vibrant as the people who occupied them.

Pine Bluff offers a bounty of historical landmarks, with 58 structures on the National Register of Historic Places. Stop by these historical landmarks during your next driving tour.

Boone-Murphy-Moore House (c. 1860)


Built sometime before 1861 and first located at 702 W. 2nd Avenue, this home was Union Col. Powell Clayton’s headquarters following the Battle of Pine Bluff in 1863. 714 W. 4th Avenue




Dexter Harding House (c. 1850)


Built in 1850, the restored home is now a tourist information center. Open Monday through Thursday. 110 N. Pine Ph: 870.536.8742




DuBocage Home (c. 1860)


Former home of Judge Joseph W. and Frances Lindsay Bocage and listed on the National Register for Historic Places, this home was restored in 1970. 1115 W. 4th Avenue




Hudson-Grace-Pearson Home (c. 1830)


Located in the historic district of town, this Victorian-style home was the residence of the famous archer, bow hunter and manufacturer, Ben Pearson. Built around 1830 by M.E. Hudson, this private home was the one-time home of W.P. Grace, a delegate to the 1861 Secession Convention and chairman of the committee that drew up the ordinance removing Arkansas from the Union. This home was originally a one-story structure and was altered over the years into a two-story house reflecting the details of the French Victorian style. 716 W. Barraque




Jefferson County Courthouse


Partially burned in 1976, the Jefferson County Courthouse was rebuilt around the center portion of the 1856 building and reopened in 1980. 101 W. Barraque Ph: 870.541.5400




Margland Bed & Breakfast


Winner of the 1985 Historical Preservation Award for Arkansas, Margland consists of four historic Southern homes circa 1879-1907 which have been turned into a delightful bed & breakfast. 703 W. 2nd Avenue Ph: 870.536.6000 www.Margland.net




Martha Mitchell Home


This house was the birthplace (and later residence) of the outspoken Martha Beall Mitchell, wife of former U.S. Attorney General John Mitchell of the Nixon Administration. 902 W. 4th Avenue Ph: 870.535.4973 www.atrol.com/Martha




Community Theatre


The Community Theatre, originally built in 1889 as a mercantile store, is the oldest one-screen theatre still operating in Arkansas. In 1922, the building was converted to a silent movie theatre called The Berbig and the name changed to The Community Theatre later that same year. 207 W. 2nd Ph: 870.535.2646




Roth-Rosenzwieg-Lambert House (c. 1894)


Built around 1894 in the Queen Anne style architecture. At one time America’s first cowboy, Broncho Billy Anderson, lived in the house with his sister, Mrs. Roth. 717 W. 2nd




Trinity Episcopal Church (c. 1866)


This magnificent structure, Arkansas’ oldest Episcopal church, is listed on the National Register for Historic Places. Among the most prominent features of the church are the Gothic architecture, ornately carved Carrara marble altar and stained-glass windows. 703 W. 3rd Avenue Ph: 870.534.3832




Trulock-Gould-Mullis House (c. 1875)


Built around 1875 by Marshall Trulock in Romanesque Revival style, this house is distinguished by its unusual rounded entrance and three windows with their rounded tops on the second floor. 704 W. Barraque




Saenger Theatre


Located at the corner of West Second at Pine Street, the 1,500-seat, seven-story Saenger Theatre was constructed in 1922. It was one of over 350 theaters in the Saenger theatre chain. 207 W. 2nd Avenue




Merrill School


This five-room schoolhouse, located on land donated by Joseph Merrill in 1886, was the site of a school for African American children.The structure became the general office of the Jefferson Comprehensive Care System Head Start Program during the 1980s. 211 N. Linden .




UAPB Bell Tower


The W.E. O'Bryant Bell Tower occupies a prominent central position on the campus of the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. It is a three-stage brick structure, with open arches at the base where a fountain once stood. The second stage houses a belfry, and the third a clock. The corners are buttressed, and the levels divided by bands of concrete. The tower was built in 1943-47 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 1200 N. University Drive




Taylor Field


Taylor Field is a baseball stadium built in 1939-40 with funding support from the Works Progress Administration and a design by local architect Mitchell Seligman. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. The stadium played host until 1955 to minor league baseball teams, including the Pine Bluff Judges. 1201 E. 16th Avenue




True Vine Missionary Baptist Church


Originally a synagogue built at the turn of the 20th century, this building at 2nd and Poplar St. was the second synaguge built by the Jewish congregation in Pine Bluff. Currently home to a Baptist church, the building retains many of its original historic features, including stained glass windows and beautiful wood trim. 1002 W. 2nd Avenue




Jewel Bain House Number 4


The Jewel Bain House Number 4 is a U-shaped single-story brick structure, with sections covered by separately hipped roofs that have extended eaves with exposed rafter tails. The roof is covered with distinctive tiles imported from Japan. Some windows are covered by wooden Japanese screens. The house was built about 1965, designed by architect Jewel Bain, one of the few female architects working in Arkansas at the time. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017. 27 Longmeadow




Jewel Bain House Number 2


This house was constructed in 1937 during the Great Depression. Designed in the Art Moderne style of architecture, it is described as "boxy with stringcourse to emphasis the horizontal lines." It was built for her family. It is believed Bain was inspired in the design by magazines and homes featured in the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. It is constructed of steel and includes structural carrara glass. Bain who was a life long resident of Pine Bluff, died in 1996 at the age of 91, designed four houses. She learned on her own how to draw floor plans and hired architects to draw up the blueprints. Bain is cited as being a member of a very select group of women in Arkansas involved in architectural design and may be the only one who has had buildings constructed. This house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013. It is located at 3601 South Cherry Street.





QUESTIONS?

Give us a call!

Questions about things to do? Want a little guidance as you plan your itinerary?

Just give us a call at 870.534.2121 or drop us a line via email. We’re happy to assist!

© Pine Bluff Advertising and Promotion Commission. All rights reserved.

Website designed by Creative Instinct, content plan and writing by Praesentia Inc.

PB-Logo_color-horizontal.png